Did you know that around 40 million tons of electronic waste are created each year, with the number growing as more and more people throw away their broken laptops, cellphones and other devices? This is a staggering amount, especially when you take into consideration just how dangerous e-waste is!
Why Is Electronic Waste Dangerous?
Electronic waste, and especially the sheer amount that we acquire, can certainly be dangerous to human health. This is because electronic devices are often made from certain chemicals and metals that can be toxic to humans and animals.
Researchers have found certain links between e-waste exposure and thyroid dysfunction, as well as complicated births, changes in behaviour, lung issues and more. Because not a lot of research has been done, we are still not sure of the full range of long-term, harmful effects.
Those that are the most at risk are children and families living near dumps, where people throw large amounts of electronic waste away.
Why Is There So Much E-Waste?
There are several reasons for the large amounts of e-waste that we see today, including:
- People do not want to donate old devices in fear that their personal information could somehow be accessed, so instead they throw them away.
- There is pressure always to have the latest and greatest model.
- The lifespan of electronics is not very long because of poor quality.
- We live in a technological era, where technology is necessary for many things.
- Not many people are aware of the dangers of electronic waste and what the steps are for getting rid of this waste safely.
How Do I Reduce The Amount Of Electronic Waste That I Create?
The average person creates a vast amount of electronic waste in their lifetime. There is always a lot of pressure to buy the latest iPhone and have all of the electronics that your friends do. But it is important to look at what electronics you actually need and focus on buying quality items that will not break in a few months’ time. It is also essential to properly maintain and look after your electronics so that you extend their lifespan.
Are you looking to get rid of your electronic waste and want to go about it the right way? Get in touch with Junk n Dump today! Simply hand over your e-waste to us and we’ll ensure that it is disposed of safely.